To spur growth, COMESA's current strategy is economic prosperity through regional integration'. With its 19 member states, a population of over 389 million and annual import bill of around US$32 billion with an export bill of US$82 billion, COMESA forms a major market place for both internal and external trading. Its area is impressive on the map of the African Continent covering a geographical area of 12 Million (sq km).
COMESA offers its members and partners a wide range of benefits which include:
- A wider, harmonised and more competitive market
- Greater industrial productivity and competitiveness
- Increased agricultural production and food security
- A more rational exploitation of natural resources
- More harmonised monetary, banking and financial policies and
- More reliable transport and communications infrastructure
To assist in the achievement of trade promotion within the Eastern and Southern Africa region, COMESA has established the following programmes:-
- Trade policy
- Trade Facilitation
- Multilateral Transport
- Information Communication Technology (ICT)
- Private Sector Development
- Investment Promotion and
- Gender Mainstreaming.